The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is a hinge that connects the jaw to the temporal bones of the skull. This joint allows you to move the jaw up and down and side to side so you can speak, eat, and yawn. Any problems with the TMJs and the muscles that are associated with them are called TMJ disorders. If you experience any of the following symptoms, Dr. Vela and Dr. Rodriguez may treat TMJ in Kingsville, Texas:
- Pain in the face, jaw joint, neck, shoulders, and in the ear area when you use your jaw
- Issues when you open your mouth wide
- Jaws that lock open or shut
- Clicking sounds when you open and close your mouth
- A tired feeling in the face
- A suddenly uncomfortable bite
- Difficulty chewing
- Swelling in the face
Issues with the TMJs are often caused by grinding and clenching your teeth, which often occurs during sleep. To protect your teeth and jaws from the effects of teeth grinding and clenching, our dentists may recommend a night guard. This custom-made mouth guard is worn during sleep.
We invite you to contact Vela Dental Centers Kingsville today to learn more and to schedule your next appointment.