Gum disease, which is also called gingivitis, is a disease that attacks the bone and tissues that surround and support your teeth. If not properly treated, gum disease can cause tooth loss. Gingivitis is caused by the buildup of plaque on your teeth and under your gums. The following can also contribute to gingivitis:
- Hormonal changes, as they make the gums sensitive and susceptible to gingivitis
- Illnesses, as they can affect the health of your gums
- Medications that lessen the flow of saliva
- Smoking, as this makes it difficult for the gums to heal themselves
- Poor dental hygiene habits
- Family history of dental disease
Dr. Vela and Dr. Rodriguez are proud to treat gingivitis in Kingsville, Texas. Our dentists may recommend that you have extra professional teeth cleanings. During these appointments, our hygienist will scrape the plaque and tartar from all surfaces of your teeth. If this does not eliminate or control the gum disease, our dentists may recommend a deep cleaning procedure called scaling and root planing. Our dentists will remove the plaque from your teeth, all the way down to the roots. Your tooth roots will then be smoothed. This makes it difficult for plaque to stick to them. Smoothing your roots also provides a clean surface for your gums to readhere to.
Feel free to contact Vela Dental Centers Kingsville today to learn more and to schedule an appointment.